Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Divergent trilogy

DISCLAIMER: there may be some spoilers in this post. The Saturday that we went on spring break I went to the movies and watched Divergent (the new IMAX theater in sparks is MAGESTIC by the way). After I saw it, I was hooked. I bough the books and read the entire trilogy in a weekend. The first movie didn't completely follow the book, but it was still a great movie and I was still very pleased with the way they made it. The second book is super crazy intense and I think it's my favorite book in the trilogy. Not only does it have LOADS of action, but it makes it seem realistic because of the romance and relationship drama. Some of the fights pain me internally because I fell in love with the characters, though. But the book subtlety focuses on feminism and how strong women are. The third book however, made me want to scream and throw the book at the wall and cry my eyes out (most of which I did). It completely unearths the idea of the first two books, it is super harsh, and the new characters are horribly mean people without realizing it. I was dying the entire time I was reading it, especially at the end. (SPOILER ALERT I felt like the death was super sudden and rather anticlimactic, even if I totally knew it was coming. I died and cried until the end of the book. Tobias broke my heart because I loved them so much). Honestly, life would be completely content if you didn't even bother to read the last one. It was a good book, yes, but I have completely mixed emotions about it. I hate that basically everyone died and that the people that lived had to live their lives without them. It broke my heart, but I guess that's how you know it was a good book; because I was so emotionally invested in it. The epilogue is really touching and really meaningful, but I still hate the ending. I am very excited for the next couple movies to come out so I can see how the directors do it. Overall a very good series and I highly recommend it. (I tried to be as vauge as possible so people don't necessarily know who my spoilers are about)

No comments:

Post a Comment