Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hunger Games trilogy

I'm not sick I swear. 2,761 pages in 35 hours is not crazy. Six books over spring break is completely normal, I'm sure of it.

DISCLAIMER: I will be discussing the Hunger Games so if you haven't read them yet, then I advise against reading this post. Aside from reading the Divergent series, I also started and finished the Hunger Games series, and let me be the first to say, I was rather disappointed. I really did enjoy the first book, but it all went downhill from there. It may have been because I just finished the Divergent series though, and I completely fell in love with that one. The first book doesn't hesitate to get right into the thick of things, and I really enjoyed the author's creativity with the torture and styles, but the descriptions left nothing to imagination, and I could basically predict the entire book, and no, I haven't seen either of the movies. The second book, however, I couldn't predict at all, although I'm not really sure I could describe what happened to someone if they asked, spare the ending. The third book was kinda the same thing, but the epilogue really had a lot of meaning, which helped. Peeta really threw me off guard, and I think he, along with Katniss, was one of my favorite characters. I never really knew what he was going to say, and enjoyed everything he said. Although Katniss was extremely stubborn, I really liked her sass and passion. I liked Gale too, but I think that's because I felt bad for him for loving Katniss when she couldn't decide who she liked. I enjoyed how the author played the tragic love triangle throughout the whole series though. Overall, I wasn't as impressed as I expected, considering everyone's reactions. I felt like I was completely in the story and running with the characters while reading Divergent, but like I was barely skipping the surface while reading the Hunger Games. Even when they referenced the Games Katniss and Peeta participated in later in the series, I barely remembered what happened or felt the emotion. I feel almost cruel comparing The Hunger Games to Divergent, but that's just where my mind always wandered when I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment