Sunday, March 16, 2014

Handmaid's Tale

For English class, we had to read a book and choose between either The Handmaid's Tale, 1984, or another one I don't remember, and I chose The Handmaid's Tale. I was surprised about how interesting it actually was to me, and even more surprised how much I felt I related to it, considering what it's about. On the surface you probably think I'm crazy, but if you strip away their situation and look at what they are actually dealing with, you realize how relatable it is. It has a lot about women suppression and the human desire to feel loved. I also think the way the author writes it speaks to me; I believe she writes super similarly to how I would (although I'm no where near as good as expressing my intricate thoughts as she is), especially how she addresses the reader as a real person in chapter 41 (or maybe it was 40, I read both today). Off my high horse, I also relate because I am a woman, the gender which most of the story revolve around. I once read somewhere that the way to be a good writer is to write a story that everyone can relate to, and I feel as if The Handmaid's Tale really exemplifies this thought. Heck, I even tweet about enjoying it, and that's saying quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment