Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars

DISCLAIMER: I am discussing the book, The Fault In Our Stars, so if you haven't read it yet, it's probably not a good idea to read this post. The story itself was decent, but it was too "story book romantic" where every date was perfect and of course they fell in love. And I mean Amsterdam, really? (Anyone else noticed they did the dance of life the same night they had their first kiss?) After they got back from Amsterdam however, I felt like how the story was told got weird. It seemed more like Hazel was kinda narrating what was going on instead of you actually reading the story as it happened, except a few times like when they were playing video games and his nephews were running around and stuff. I felt this narrative-like description up until Augustus's prefuneral and after that. I kind of knew something was going to happen like one of them died and they were in love and all that sad stuff though, but I wasn't sure how it would happen. I think Augustus's personality made it harder though (I mean he planned his own funeral for goodness sake). The ending really tied up lose ends though, and it was almost a "happy" ending that Hazel got to read the ending Gus wrote for her and that she decided she was happy with her decisions. There wasn't really anything that made it spectacular for me though, although I really enjoyed all the philosophical insight about how the universe wants to be noticed and all that, and I also enjoyed the sassiness of the characters. Overall a good book, but not something I would reread.  

No comments:

Post a Comment